The Town of Kirkland, incorporated in 1961, is one of the West Island’s newest municipalities.
The territory was established in 1722 as part of the Parish of St-Joachim de Pointe-Claire, and was an agricultural area, becoming an independent parish in 1855. Kirkland was named after Dr. Charles-Aimé Kirkland, the local member of the National Assembly from 1939 until his death in 1961.
Spurred by the building of Highway 40, which bisects it, the town developed quickly from its rural origins into a residential community during the 1960s and ’70s. It has an industrial park along Highway 40.
Kirkland fast facts
English: Margaret Manson Elementary.
French: École Primaire Émile-Nelligan, Centre de Formation Professionelle des Métiers de la Santé.
Recreation and Culture: Library, municipal sports complex, arena, outdoor skating rinks, splash parks.
Outdoor Activities: Cross-country ski trail, bicycle paths, l’Anse à l’Orme regional green space (adjacent).
House of Worship: St. Mary’s Anglican, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Église de Jesus Christ.