As trees shed their leaves in the next month, municipalities throughout the West Island will hold curbside pick-ups for composting.
Get your rakes out, folks. There’s a good reason that people refer to autumn as “fall.” If you have a yard with deciduous trees (or if you don’t, but your neighbours do), you know that this is the time to gather up fallen leaves. Municipalities have long been diverting fallen leaves from landfill sites by composting them, and transforming them into humus (or what gardeners call “black gold”).
You’ll need biodegradable paper bags—not plastic—that can left curbside for pick-up by 7 a.m. on collection days. Here’s a schedule of leaf pick-ups this autumn throughout the West Island:
* Every Tuesday. Leave your bags curbside before 7 a.m.
* The south sector of city – Mondays until Nov. 28.
* The north sector of the city – Wednesdays until Nov. 30.
DOLLARD DES ORMEAUX
* Mondays. Leave your bags curbside by 7 a.m.
* October 21 and 28 and November 4, 11 and 18. Leave your bags curbside by 7 a.m.
* October 24 and 31 and November 7 and 14.
Good to know: Paper bags only; no plastic bags. However, reusable plastic, metal or cardboard containers with a maximum volume of one cubic metre are accepted. The maximum weight of each bag must not exceed 50 pounds.
* Tuesdays. Leave bags curbside by 7 a.m.
Good to know: Free biodegradable paper bags available at Town Hall (17200 Hymus Blvd. Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.) and Municipal Garage (25 Claude-Jodoin St., Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon). Proof of residency required; limit of 15 bags per household.
* Weeks of October 17 and October 31 and the week of November 14.
Good to know: The collections will start on Wednesday and end no later than Saturday during the same week. Leaves and yard waste should be put in paper bags only.
* October 29 and November 12 and 26.
Good to know: The collection can take several days. Leave paper bags curbside the day before pick-up, and on Friday, after 6 p.m.
* Mondays until December 5. Leave your bags curbside by 7 a.m.
* Wednesdays. Leave your bags curbside by 7 a.m.
Good to know: Leaves can also be placed in empty garbage cans.
* Interior sector: starting Monday, October 24, and Monday, November 7. Exterior sector: starting Monday, October 31, and Monday, November 14.
* Mondays. Leave bags curbside by 7 a.m.
Good to know: Leaves will be picked up with organic waste collection. You may place your leaves in paper bags, cardboard boxes, rigid containers and the brown organic bin.
* October 26-29, November 9-12 and November 23-26 for all areas of the city. Place your bags curbside by 7 a.m. on Wednesday morning.
Good to know: Only paper bags and loose waste (for example, in a large plastic bin, a garbage can other than a wheeled container) will be accepted. Containers must not exceed 50 pounds and one cubic metre, and must be equipped with handles on each side.